Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The 3 Art Projects and Essay Informed by Our Textbook

and the dead can dance,3'x1',sand on sand paper,triptych

THE ESSAY ABOUT MY PROCESS




MY PROCESS in creating art is always the same; whether I am making a clay piece or a painting or a photograph. I always begin by writing words on my studio walls,LARGE AND LARGER and then  small and smaller. The words continue spilling out in the book or books which are informing the art, and on small and on large pieces of paper. I am beginning to  to prepare my subconscious for making art. In this case, I kept thinking about the text book; the content, the guilds, the progress in crafts education, the individual artists/mentors/instructors. But that did not get me the end outcome that I hoped for, which as always,for me,is a work of art which is emotive. So I turned off the lights in my studio,I sat on the floor and crossed my legs and closed my eyes to clear my mind and start again. I asked myself the same questions we were asked in class about each chapter:What surprised me? What Impressed me? What did I take away? This was too broad as there is just too much material in this book...so I decided to say to myself,What is the most important thing about this book to me?
I kept seeing in my head and hearing(what I assumed)would sound like  the chanting of Hosten Klah (Pages 109-110)."He wove sand painting rugs only for the chants that he was qualified to sing,including Night way,Shooting way and Mountain way."..."So here is the emotion to me these emotional haunting and meaningful chants.Then I liked this.."His family looms for weaving ordinary rugs were not large enough to siuit Klah,who had one built that would hold a rug twelve feet square."I also work very very large so now I am relating bigtime,I have emotion I have large size...now color,all my work focses on intense color..."Other colors were derived from Mexican indigo and cochineal dyes."page 110.


Hosteen Klah in middle age.
BornNavajoHastiin TłʼaAwééʼ ashkii
1867
Bear Mountain, near Fort Wingate, New Mexico
DiedFebruary 27, 1937
NationalityAmerican / Navajo
Known forWeaver, artist and medicine man (chanting and sandpainting)
MovementFounded the Wheelwright Museum of the American Indianwith Mary Cabot Wheelwright
From Wikipedia






and the cold tightened it's fist,mixed on muslin,7'x3'
Informed also by the book by Ruta Sepetys,between shades of gray about Stalin's ethnic cleansing of Lithuania



No comments:

Post a Comment